[Coin-discuss] Warmstart/basis reuse

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 18 11:44:03 EDT 2007

Esben,

Presolve tries to update basis as it reduces the size of the problem but
it does have a much better chance of doing this correctly with the column
solution as you suggest.  If you start with a basis of full rank then
every time a row is removed something has to leave basis - but where to?
If the solution value is 7.0 and the removed row puts an upper bound of
7.0 on the variable then it is a good guess to put the variable at its
upper bound.  Without solution values the code has no idea which bound to
put it to.

John

Esben Mose Hansen <esben at ange.dk>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
07/18/2007 11:10 AM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>

Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] Warmstart/basis reuse

Hi,

I'm trying to implement warmstart in my solver that uses
OsiClpSolverInterface::initialSolve() as it's solver. Only, it doesn't
work
like I would expect.

These are the steps I use:

1. Solve a problem using OsiClpSolverInterface::initialSolve()
2. Read the basis with solver.getWarmStart()
3. Load the same problem with (with readMps())
4. Set the basis with solver.setWarmStart()
5. solve the problem again.

In my opinion 5 should be quite fast, but it is in reality slower than the

original solving, by 30 seconds or so. Any clue to what I am doing in
wrong?
I inserted some getBasis()->print() in intialSolve(), and could verify
that
the basis on the solved ClpSimplex model was indeed the same as was set on

the ClpSimplex when solving 5. I even checked that the presolved ClpModel
(called model model2 in the code) matched.

What have I missed? Does the solver need additional information in step 5,

such as the column solution from step 1?

Thanks for reading :)

--
regards, Esben