[Coin-discuss] OsiClp* interior point stability problem

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 28 10:29:59 EST 2007

Sebastian,

Looking at the matrices I can see that convergence could be slow.  I have a
few suggestions.

a) R0000000 sums variables == 1 so you can subtract out a constant from all
those variables and modify RHS for R0000001 and R0000002.  At present
coefficients for R0000001 seem to be 0.55 to 0.65 range - it might converge
better with a range of 0.0 to 0.1 or even scale them.
b) There are parameters you can play with for barrier method.  A quick look
didn't seem to help but I can/will send you a driver you can play with.
c) Much better I would have thought is to go back to simplex but with a
quadratic objective function added in to spread the values.
Straightforward primal quadratic seemed OK but it was quite a bit faster
with a few SLP iterations thrown in first.

So example driver (in Clp land) will follow.

John Forrest