Possible CBC bug (was "Re: [Coin-discuss] CBC feasibility pump heuristic")

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:46:07 EDT 2007

Hello John,

thanks for the reply.  Today I had time to try the latest Cbc trunk
(20070806) but I think I hit on a bug in Cbc.  So far I only used Cbc
1.1.x, not trunk.

Using the trunk version, the attached AMPL model returns an infeasible
solution as optimal, after just about a second of computation.

Using the 1.1.1 version properly goes on to try to solve this hard model
(takes forever).

I also converted the model using GLPK to the MPS format (glpsol --check
--math cbc-bug-mathprog.mod --wfreemps cbc-bug-mathprog.mps).  The
resulting MPS file can be read in and solved by both 1.1.1 and today's
trunk.  (I.e. I do not obtain optimal solutions in any case but it
computes for more than one second and the output indicates reasonable
feasible objective function values).

I hope this helps in identifying whether this is a bug in cbc trunk or
not.  I attached the original model (cbc-bug.mod), the MathProg version
(cbc-bug-mathprog.mod) and the MPS file (cbc-bug-mathprog.mps.gz)

Sebastian