[Coin-discuss] externals

Matthew Galati Matthew.Galati at sas.com
Sun Apr 1 18:16:44 EDT 2007

Ok.

Thanks Stefan and Ted.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org [mailto:coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Vigerske
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:18 PM
To: Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
Subject: Re: [Coin-discuss] externals

Hi,

> My project X depends on coin projects A and B, A depends on C, B
> depends on C.
>
> Right now, when I checkout, I get:
>   X, A, C, B, C
>
> Is there anywhere to use svn externals so that when you checkout X, you get A, then C, then B, then it realizes it already has C, so it skips C?

not a solution, but maybe a workaround:
Instead of checking out the package base directory (e.g., https://.../svn/Cbc/trunk), you can checkout from the project base directory (e.g., https://.../svn/Cbc/trunk/Cbc). This has no externals defined and will be sufficient in most cases.
Then you define the externals for your project X such that all externals for projects A and B are satisfied, i.e., such that you get C (once).
See, e.g., the externals for the Bonmin project.

But should svn not recognize it if A and B point to the same C (i.e., same revision number)?

Stefan

--
Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan