[Coin-discuss] license issues

Hart, William E wehart at sandia.gov
Mon Sep 18 11:35:51 EDT 2006

John:

I didn't help develop CPL, but my understanding is that the principal
motivation for CPL was that it enabled commercial entities to use the
code without enforcing code-distribution requirements on them.  Thus,
someone like IBM could integrate CPL code, modify it, and distribute it
commercially without being required to redistribute those changes to the
public.

This sort of policy goes against the grain of the GNU open source
distribution policy, but in practice I have observed that commercial
entities using CPL code remain interested in fostering improvements in
the code.

It's clear to me that this sort of license is not what you're interested
in for ASCEND.  I don't think you could argue that IPOPT _should_ be
distributed with the LGPL license.  However, the IPOPT developers are
free to license IPOPT under LGPL as well, for inclusion in a project
like ASCEND.

--Bill