[Coin-discuss] Help with COIN configuration...

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Sep 8 01:15:58 EDT 2006

Bill,

	Downloaded fresh copies of various Coin projects and was able to
reproduce your error.  The problem is lack of acinclude.m4 and aclocal.m4.  All
of these are generated files, and are needed to run autoconf & automake, but are
not required to simply run configure, hence are not included in the
distributions.  The BuildTools/run_autotools script rebuilds acinclude.m4 in
each directory, then calls aclocal to rebuild aclocal.m4 and autom4te.cache.
Then you're ready for autoheader, automake, and autoconf.

	Roughly, aclocal collects all the m4 macros needed by automake and
autoconf into aclocal.m4.  If aclocal.m4 is missing or incomplete, autoreconf
chokes when automake or autoconf decide that some m4 macro hasn't been properly
declared.  Yeah, I know the man page says autoreconf runs aclocal as necessary,
but watching it work, it looked like autoreconf was not passing -I options to
aclocal.

	Run BuildTools/run_autotools first, and (as best I can see on Fedora
Core 5) autoreconf will run without issues.

							Lou