[Coin-discuss] Re: What happend to CoinAll src?

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Wed Nov 29 12:28:13 EST 2006

Folks,

Bill Hart writes

> At INFORMS I mentioned that I would be interested in supporting a
> CoinAll project.  Given the caveats of this discussion, my goal would be
> to have this project be stable "on a regular basis", rather than all the
> time.  For example, we only plan overall Acro releases a few times a
> year.  It's too painful to get all of the software components
> synchronized more often than that.

	I like Bill's suggestion.  Coin-All did make it easy to do full
configuration and build tests and would certainly be a help as we work toward
automated build tests.  On the flip side, lack of Coin-All gives me an easy
excuse to put this sort of thing off until next week.

	In the short term, I don't see this as solving the problem for our
users.  The first few attempts at defining a stable, compatible collection will
have a high probability of failure.  I expect that there will be several maximal
subsets, and no unique maximum subset.  At best, all we can guarantee is that
everything builds.  True interoperability requires unit tests that cover sets of
projects.  Over the long term, though, this would give us a target to shoot at.

	We would need to put a suitable warning on the wiki page:

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

	Who'd've thought those classic lit courses would have a use  :-)

							Lou