(offtopic: Purify and Valgrind) Re: [Coin-discuss] Purify UMR CoinFactorization::pivotOneOtherRow

Brian Borchers borchers at nmt.edu
Wed May 24 13:53:09 EDT 2006

As an example of the kind of thing I'm talking about, suppose that I have

static int foo;

and then somewhere in my code I use foo in an expression without having
stored anything in the variable.  Valgrind can detect this, but the
version of Purify that I used some years ago couldn't.

The basic difference here is between a malloc debugging library that
replaces the conventional malloc() and friends, allocates unwriteable
memory before and after malloc()'d blocks, etc. and a tool that
is involved in every memory reference made by the code.