[Coin-discuss] Native Windows build

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Thu Mar 23 16:11:07 EST 2006

Marco,

Thanks for pointing this out. We have recently discovered the same
solution and are in the process of modifying the current build system,
so that it will work "out of the box" with MinGW. In fact, it should
even be possible to build COIN using the the MinGW "make" utility with
the native Microsoft compiler, available as part of the free Microsoft
Visual C++ Toolkit (for those who don't have the Visual C++ IDE). Using
MinGW in combination with the open source Eclipse IDE provides a Windows
development environment roughly like Visual C++. Also in the works is a
binary distribution, so stay tuned for that.

By the way, it's not that clear on the MinGW Web site, but there is a
single GUI installer you can download that will install all of the
required tools automatically:

http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-5.0.2.exe?download

If you also install MSys, a lightweight bash shell environment, you will
be able to use standard Unix commands on the Windows command line.

Cheers,

Ted