[Coin-discuss] open-source software in teaching?

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Wed Mar 8 10:52:30 EST 2006

Educators in the COIN-OR community,

There is a special issue of INFORMS Transactions on Education focusing
on effective use of software in teaching OR/MS.  The deadline of April
1st is rapidly approaching.  It would be nice if at least one article
discussed advantages of using open-source software in teaching.

Is anyone already planning to submit an article that deals specifically
with open-source software?  Please let me know.

If there are no such articles already, then I may try to quickly
coordinate a team article that summarizes the advantages and
disadvantages of using open-source software for teaching.  If you have
some experience teaching with open-source software and are willing to be
a co-author or even just an "interviewee" for a possible article, please
let me know.

Time is running out, so we need to decide soon whether we can make this
happen.  Thanks,

Brady

--
Brady Hunsaker