[Coin-discuss] cbc vs. cbc-generic

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Thu Jun 22 13:08:08 EDT 2006

Francois,

> If I understand correctly, cbc works only with Clp and cbc-generic works
> with Clp, and possibly with DyLP if --with-dylp is used for configure,
> and possibly with Osl if --with-osl is used for configure.  Is that correct?

	That would be my guess.  As Laci mentioned, it's relatively simple to
add new solvers in CbcMain.cpp, but right now it's a source code modification.
(In a nutshell, there must be a prototype of the OsiXXX class available.)  Given
that cbc is built with a given OSI in the build, selecting the solver can be
done at run time.  Switching solvers in mid-run should be possible, but not
something I've had time to work on.

	I'd be a little less harsh in my assessment.  libCbc is designed to work
with any OSI.  The devil lies in the details.  Cbc has evolved considerably.
Many of the OSIs have not been extended to match, in part because (to my
knowledge) they've had minimal use in a context like libCbc which pushes their
capabilities.  Interoperability is an ongoing struggle, and will require some
community effort and evidence of demand.

	Brian is, I believe, correct that OSL is no longer available.

							Lou