[Coin-discuss] PPC vs. x86

Martin Mundschenk m.mundschenk at mundschenk.de
Mon Jul 3 16:37:57 EDT 2006

Hi!

I just compiled Cbc on an Intel Xeon running Debian Linux  as well as
on an Apple PPC G5 running OSX:

Coin Cbc and Clp Solver version 1.01.00, build Jul  3 2006

The Intel runs at 3 GHz and the PPC at 2 GHz. I compared the
performance of both machines on the problem nw04 from the miplib
(http://miplib.zib.de/)

The PPC comes to this result:

Result - Finished objective 16862 after 0 nodes and 861 iterations -
took 102.11 seconds

and the Intel to this one:

Result - Finished objective 16862 after 484 nodes and 4600 iterations
- took 73.22 seconds

Why does the identical solver use different numbers of nodes and
iterations on the identical problem but on different architectures?

Regards,
Martin