[Coin-discuss] AMPL interface to CLP?

J P Fasano jpfasano at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 7 10:02:27 EST 2006

> We would like to start using CLP for our ampl models. Does anyone
> know if there is an AMPL interface for it? Is it just in the
> package, or is it seperate?

CoinMpsIO::readGMPL (
www.coin-or.org/Doxygen/Coin/class_coin_mps_i_o.html#z203_10) is a method
for reading GMPL models (a subset of AMPL).

This method uses the GMPL model reading code available with GLPK (
www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html), so GLPK needs to be installed.

When building COIN, the file COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.loc needs to be
changed to indicate that Glpk is available by setting
   CoinLibsDefined += COIN_libGlpk
and the symbols that define the location of GLPK like GlpkIncDir.

ClpModel::readGMPL(www.coin-or.org/Doxygen/Clp/class_clp_model.html#z172_10)
 is a CLP method for read GMPL models.
This method is implemented by using CoinMpsIO::readGMPL.

In the past I have used modified examples in \COIN\Cbc\Samples to read GMPL
models.
The modification is to change
   OsiClpSolverInterface::readMps
to be
   OsiClpSolverInterface::getModelPtr()->ClpModel::readGMPL