[Coin-discuss] linking CBC: undefined symbol: void CoinLpIO::setInfinity on solaris

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Wed Feb 22 11:42:54 EST 2006

Sven, John,

	Interesting that this problem arises with GCC on Solaris. Certainly the
Sun compilers supplied with Sun Studio and Sun Workshop are often more strict
about prototypes. I'm a bit surprised that GCC on Solaris would do the same.
Conversely, gcc complains bitterly about issues that the Solaris compilers do
not seem to even see.

	With respect to the hidden virtual functions --- we've been down this
road before.  The problem is overload resolution.  The Solaris compilers seem to
require an explicit `using' declaration to bring overloaded declarations into
scope. At one point I inserted a few of these declarations in .hpp files for
Osi and OsiDylp. The Solaris compilers were happy, but it turns out that an
older GCC version (2.95.3) was unable to cope. Rather than break COIN for users
stuck with the older compiler, we've elected to live with the warnings. So far
it seems to be a case of `no harm, no foul'.

	Look for a thread in coin-duscuss started by Ted Ralphs on Feb. 18,
2005, subject `[Coin-discuss] Compiling Osi with gcc 2.95.3'

						Lou