[Coin-discuss] Osi2 information?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Feb 10 19:52:04 EST 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Kish Shen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I seem to remember that there is a new version of Osi that is in development?
> Is there anywhere where I can get some information on this?
>
> The reason I am asking is that we have an interface to CPLEX/Xpress for our
> Constraint Logic Programming platform ECLiPSe, and we are thinking of
> supporting OSI through this interface. I had developed a prototype a year or
> so ago, and am now planning to go ahead with a proper development. One
> question is how compatible is the new version of OSI with the current one?
> Would the existing C++ calls be supported? Secondly, what sort of time scales
> are expected for when this new OSI becoming available?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information!
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Kish Shen

The new OSI is unfortunately behind schedule.  All the developers have day
jobs that have forced them to pay attention to other priorities.  It is in
progress, though, but there will certainly not be any code released in the
next few weeks--more likely the next few months.

Much of the OSI redesign is internal--it will make the library more
consistent, flexible, and extensible.  As far as the API feature set, the
new OSI will be pretty much a superset of the old.  If there are major
syntactic changes, then we'll plan to provide a compatibility layer to
help OSI1 users over the transition.

So if the old OSI suits your needs, I'd recommend going ahead and
developing for it.  If not, let us know what features you need.  That way,
we can incorporate them into OSI2, and perhaps we can back-port them to
tide you over.

Let me know if you need any more information.  Thanks for your interest.

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs