[Coin-discuss] Compile BCP with MPI

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 23 22:11:22 EDT 2006

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Dan Chen wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I have several questions with compiling BCP with MPI.
>
> 1. Can I use MPICH? If yes, should I use MPICH1 or MPICH2?

I tried BCP with mpi1, but it should work just fine with mpi2.

> 2. What parameters should I specify when I run the configure file?

--with-mpi-incdir=/path/to/the/dir/where/the/mpi/headers/are
--with-mpi-lib="/path/to/mpi/libraries/libmpich.a"

Note the difference: for incdir you must specify the directory, for lib you
must specify the library file. Also, you may need to specify more than one
lib. In that case you still must specify only one --with-mpi-lib, but
stick all libs within the quotes. E.g., on BlueGene I need to use:
--with-mpi-lib="-L/bgl/BlueLight/ppcfloor/bglsys/lib -lmpich.rts -lmsglayer.rts -ldevices.rts -lrts.rts"

> 3. What options for gcc should I use when compiling my own program?

The easiest is if after configuring BCP you look at Bcp/examples and check out
the Makefiles there.