[Coin-discuss] Problem with -fomit-frame-pointer/coin_opt_cxxflags

kmartin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Sat Aug 12 02:21:36 EDT 2006

Hi:

By default ./configure turns on -fomit-frame-pointer in CXXFLAGS.  On
Linux with gcc 3.4.5 this causes an error when I try to throw an
exception in my code. I see from a Google search that evidently there is
some sort of gcc bug with the -fomit-frame-pointer and try catch  in
Linux. Two questions:

1) Has anyone else had difficulty using  try, catch in their code along
with the -fomit-frame-pointer option on Linux? This problem does not
occur with identical code in Mac OS X.

2) I want to turn this option off. I can do this by

./configure CXXFLAGS="my options"

however, I prefer to alter the necessary makefile.am file for my
project.  I tried using the automake AM_CXXFLAGS macro to set my
options, however this does not seem to work. Is there an easy way to
override the coin.m4 macro variable setting

 coin_opt_cxxflags="-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"

in one of the .ac or .am files? I don't want to change the coin.m4 file,
  instead I would like to make the change in one my project .ac or .am
files so that when I execute run_autotools the generated configure file has

        coin_opt_cxxflags="-O3"

Thanks

--
Kipp Martin