[Coin-discuss] Problems compiling CoinLib under VC++ 6

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon May 23 12:28:19 EDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Laszlo Ladanyi wrote:

> In general it's a good question which standard one should conform to in a
> language. Use the latest and greatest *defined* features, which may be
> inefficiently or maybe downright incorrectly implemented in some or all
> compilers, or stick to an older standard, which may be clumsier. At what
> point a switch should be made? I'm not sure what's the right answer.

A feature in the second to last standard should usually work.
An exception might be some of the more interesting aspects of C++ templates.
Whether to use a new feature depends on what compilers you need to use.
If you need to use a compiler that doesn't have the feature,
either don't use it or it's #ifdef time.
If all the compilers have it, but it's slow,
whether to use it depends on the importance of its speed.
Having it wrong is pretty much the same as not having it.

Why was this quoted?

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"There are three kinds of people,