[Coin-discuss] Re: Coin-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 19

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Mar 22 22:35:34 EST 2005

Dino-

Please Watch the subject line when you reply to digest mail.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, C. Michailidis wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 12:00 pm, coin-discuss-request at list.coin-or.org
> wrote:
>

>> When I worked on some of the documentation this summer there was talk of
>> using configure "at some point in the future".  They're always looking
>> for volunteers... :-)
>>

> Lol, well... I'm certainly more than happy to volunteer my suggestions!
>
> Again, it seems like it would be easy enough to add a caveat to the FAQ or
> to /COIN/MODULE/INSTALL stating that on some systems 'must use gnu make'
> equates to typing 'gmake' at a prompt, not 'make' (as stated
> in /COIN/Clp/INSTALL).  After all, some us are more user than developer  ;-)

Fair enough.  I've added a note to COIN/INSTALL to the effect that most
components require GNU make and where you might look for it.  Hopefully
that will obviate the need to add it in every component's INSTALL.

> Once I figured that out (I'm such a dummy!) the build went smoothly as did the
> unit tests - so I can't say for sure that using the gnu autotools is what's
> necessary.  I should try one of the modules where the INSTALL text file
> *DOES* instruct me to use 'configure', 'make', and 'make install' then
> compare (NLPAPI perhaps).

When done well, autoconf/automake is a nice way for the user to build, no
question.  It's just hard for the developer to construct nice builds.
Meanwhile, we have a system that is workable most of the time.