[Coin-discuss] PROJECT PROPOSAL: graphical user interface for some COIN packages

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Wed Jun 22 11:38:19 EDT 2005

Hello!

I am an IT student and we work on various projects on an per-semester
basis. In the last semester we learned something about OR. I am
basically interested in doing a project based on COIN for the next
semester.

I would like to know if there is general interest in an easy to use
GUI to test/show various algorithms. As far as I have seen there is
no ready-to-use GUI provided by the COIN project (please prove me
wrong, I have not searched for too long). I would like to do a
project that provides a nice GUI for various COIN packages to show
the capabilities of some OR algorithms. I am very familiar with Qt
programming and would implement such an interface with Qt, maybe also
KDE if there is interest.

The target audience is, again, universities or wherever Operation
Research is taught. The simple/direct GUI to the algorithms would be
helpful to show the students and make clear to them how the
algorithms work. I would of course put this project under an open
source license and would make it publicly available for further
improvements to make it as useful as possible for everyone.

Please let me know what you think as soon as possible as we have to
decide about our next-semester projects within a few days.

Thank you very much,
--
Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at/blog