[Coin-discuss] Strange termination

Alan King kingaj at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 17 13:33:12 EDT 2005

Probably this condition is due to an unbounded ray being detected but no
feasible solution has yet been found?

isAbandoned() might be the most appropriate test in that case.

Sounds like an interesting problem -- might be nice to have in the samples
or for a regression test.

Alan King

Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
06/17/2005 01:08 PM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>

Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Coin-discuss] Strange termination

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Kasper Bonne Rasmussen wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Kasper Bonne Rasmussen wrote:
>>> CPXgetstat(env_, getMutableLpPtr()) returns 119 in the call that fails
>>> generate an optimal solution. cplex.h defines 119 as
>>> CPXMIP_NODE_FILE_LIM_INFEAS. None of the query methods check for that.
>>
>> What version of CPLEX are we talking about here?
>>
>> Since at least CPLEX 8.1, code 119 is CPX_MIP_INForUNBD.
>
> Cplex version 9.0 and you are absolutely right. I was looking in a
> cplex-headerfile v7.0, sorry.
>
> ..but there is still no query method that checks for this, as far as I
can
> see.

I'm not terribly surprised.  But which of these should detect it?

   isAbandoned()
   isProvenOptimal()
   isProvenPrimalInfeasible()
   isProvenDualInfeasible()
   isPrimalObjectiveLimitReached()
   isDualObjectiveLimitReached()
   isIterationLimitReached()

The docs are not clear what the circumstances are that lead to this return

code.  There is a CPXMIP_UNBOUNDED (unbdd ray found) and a CPXMIP_INFEAS
(proven infeasible).  So I will guess that CPXMIP_INForUNBD must arise in
some ambiguous case.  We'd need to get CPLEX to weigh in on whether the
two cases are distinguishable with some additional calls.

> /Kasper

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs