[Coin-discuss] interpret this please

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Sat Jul 30 23:43:25 EDT 2005

Laszlo Ladanyi wrote:

> QUESTION: Right now the name of targetdir includes the platform and
> optimization level. What do people think? Is this necessary? Should the target
> dir simply be 'obj'?

My preference would be just a directory called 'obj.' If it seems like
people find it useful to have object files divided by platform and/or
optimization level, this could still be done by creating subdirectories
under the main 'obj' directory. However, my preference would be to stop
dividing object files by optimization level. If you recompile with
several different optimization levels, it is easy to fill your hard
drive with object files and then forget about them (they won't be
deleted by "make clean" once you change levels). Of course, this would
mean requiring the user to do a "make clean" manually and recompile from
scratch in order to change levels, so perhaps this is too onerous for
some users, but for most, it will be fine. Perhaps you should have a
flag for advance users that allows separation, but that is turned off by
default.

Cheers,

Ted
--