[Coin-discuss] Build failure from current CVS source on SuSE 9.1 AMD64 platform with fix

Clint cruoho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:06:06 EST 2005

The default CVS checkout of the Cbc (and dependent) modules fails to
compile on SuSE 9.1 AMD64 platform.  I checked out the source for the
Cbc module via cvs and make failed with the following errors:

cc1plus: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch

I traced this down to COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.linux, where

ARCH=$(shell arch)

is passed on to

CXXFLAGS += -march=$(ARCH)

On the AMD64 platform, ARCH=x86_64, however this is not a correct
argument to -march in GCC.  I hardcoded

ARCH=k8

into Makefile.linux and make proceeded normally.  This is obviously
not a permanent fix, but I just wanted to report the bug.

- clint