[Coin-discuss] Symphony and C++

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Mon Jan 10 11:50:57 EST 2005

Michael Hennebry wrote:

> It doesn't seem obvious how to use C++ with Symphony.
> For that matter, it's not obvious how to compile
> source files that don't have counterparts in a
> subdirectory of Template (The walkthrough document
> calls it USER).

> In a copy of Symphony's Template directory
> how do I add file user_problem.cc to its
> Master subdirectory and have the Makefiles
> still work?

Currently, the Makefile does not automatically pick up files that do not
have either .c or .h extensions. In the near future, we will rewrite the
makefile to conform to the COIN standard and also allow it to pick up
files with other extensions. For the time being, the simplest solutions
are to either (1) confine everything to one of the existing files, or
(2) place new files in the provided directories and give them .c or .h
extensions. Putting C++ code into a file with a .c extension should not
cause any problems with the compiler in Linux or Unix.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs
Assistant Professor
tkralphs at lehigh.edu
www.lehigh.edu/~tkr2

"An optimist is someone who thinks
'It doesn't get any better than this.'
A pessimist is someone who's afraid that's true."