[Coin-discuss] BCP eats up memory like crazy!

Miroslav Karamanov miroslav at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 22 18:21:50 EST 2005

I am running branch and cut in BCP with aggressive cut generation (dense
cuts are added too). The program runs out of memory rather quick (2.5GB
RAM). I find no significant memory leaks.

I notice that the large memory usage is not caused by the active nodes.
The number of active nodes decreases at the end of solution but the used
memory stays high and keeps increasing.

Also, the size of the subproblems is close to the original size of the
problem. Even though many cuts are generated, most of them are discarded
  when they become inactive.

I see no reason for this large memory consumption. The major difference
to my previous usage of BCP is the aggressive cut generation. (Many
problems that I used to solve before cannot be completed now on the same
machine.) Do you have a suggestion why this happens?
Is there anything in cut management or cut storage that can cause this?

Thank you very much.
Miroslav