[Coin-discuss] How to deal with tolerance?

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 16 10:17:58 EST 2005

Miroslav,

That seems a large discrepancy so I would guess the problem is badly
scaled.  Clp can return an answer which is optimal when scaled but not
when unscaled.  This can be tested in Clp but you can modify the default
action of OsiClpSolverInterface::resolve by using
OsiClpSolverInterface::setCleanupScaling(n)  (suggested value of n = 1).

See if that helps

John Forrest

Miroslav Karamanov <miroslav at andrew.cmu.edu>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
12/15/2005 06:38 PM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research

coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] How to deal with tolerance?

I am using BCP + CLP and I came accross the following
problem: the solution returned by CLP was found out of
bounds by BCP (in particular, BCP_lp_user::test_full())

Obviously, both solvers use different precision. test_full
uses BCP_IntegerTolerance (set to 1e-5 by me). Please advise
  what the best way to deal with this issue is.

I had to increase BCP_IntegerTolerance to 1e-3 in order to
avoid this problem but this is not a good solution.
Shouldn't the tolerance for integrality be different from
the tolerance for bounds?
Or should they be relative to the magnitude of numbers?
The problem occurs with large integers (like 4000.0011 with
u.b. 4000)
Thank you.

Miroslav