[Coin-discuss] Re: How to cut off "optimal" solution in CBC

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 29 05:21:38 EDT 2005

I agree with adding in a feasibility checker which has as input where it
is being called from.  However to complicate matters there are at present
three places in CBC where a solution can be found-

1) In normal branching - this is the situation which has been discussed.
2) As a by product of strong branching.
3) As the result of a heuristic.  I think it is still worth having a final
check so that users can pick up other peoples heuristics.

So I would propose 4 input states (2 for case 1).

Output would be 0 - continue
  1 accept as valid integer solution
   2 treat as an infeasible node (not for heuristic call)
   3 exit from while loop (not for heuristic or strong branching calls)

Would that be close to what people want?

John Forrest