[Coin-discuss] How to cut off "optimal" solution in CBC

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Wed Aug 24 17:57:15 EDT 2005

As Francois pointed out, SYMPHONY has a separate feasibility check, but
in hindsight, I'm not sure that was quite the right way to go. As Mike
pointed out, there is no way for the solver to continue if the current
solution is integral and not feasible unless the user either generates a
cut or implements a special branching rule for this case. There may be
efficiency gains in combining the feasibility check and cut generation
steps. In cases where the feasibility check generates a cut as a natural
by-product, the user will be forced to regenerate that same cut later
(either from scratch or by retrieving a cached copy) if the two are
separated. By combining the two functions, this is avoided. Right now, I
cannot really see a good reason to have them separated.

Cheers,

Ted

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs