[Coin-discuss] Lower bounds in BCP

Jörg Herbers herbers at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:21:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

some time ago (on 12/16/2003), I posted a question regarding BCP lower bound
handling. Obviously, BCP did not maintain a global lower bound, meaning that
even if all further search tree nodes have lower bounds greater/equal to a
known upper bound (or within some given distance to the upper bound), BCP
does not directly terminate. However, the resulting tailing-off effect can
be quite time-consuming.

I first tried to solve the problem by determining and storing one global
lower bound (the value of the LP relaxation) in my BCP_lp_user-derived
class. But this only allows for an early termination of actions in the user
class while BCP still processes all nodes. Furthermore, global lower bounds
are generally stronger and increase when upper search tree levels have been
processed.

In the meantime, I have implemented a better global lower bound handling in
BCP. BCP_tree::true_lower_bound() shows the basic idea, but this function
traverses the whole tree and is only called once at the end of the search.
The approach which I implemented is more efficient by maintaining active and
candidate search nodes supporting the global lower bound.

Please let me know if you are interested in reviewing and integrating such a
functionality.

Jörg