[Coin-discuss] Impressions of Banff

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue May 25 18:29:10 EDT 2004

Brady,

	`Brief' I can do. The workshop and the open-source software session
	were well-attended. We could have used a few more people at the
User's Group meeting.  Of the people that talked to me after sessions, two
questions stick in my mind, in the `whatever' category:

  * ``How do I know which cuts to use for my application (scheduling)?''
  * ''How can I pull an arbitrary leaf off the sbb search tree?''

	I think I can now answer the second question (a mixture of brute
force and deception should do the trick). `Use BCP' might be a better
answer.

	I'm sure the answer to the first question is out there in the
scheduling literature, but it's not at the front of my brain. More
specifically, I wish I had some rules of thumb, along the lines of ``Analysis
of the polyhedron defined by your constraint system says you should use cuts
X, Y, and Q.'' A proactive approach, rather than reactive.  Then again, the
cost of analysis might well outweigh the cost of generating a few cuts to see
if they're effective.

						Lou