[Coin-discuss] Modeling Language

Alan King kingaj at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 28 12:04:38 EDT 2004

My list for desireable propertes of a COIN AML package:

Philosophy:
1)  Compatibility.  Able to use your favorite AML language or package on
the front end, and favorite solver on the back end.
2)  Open source.  Source code level access to the parser input and output
methods and data structures.
3) Utility and extensibility.  Able to incorporate new features and
technologies of interest to the community, eg document processing and web
services standards.

Functionality:
a)  Support multiple flavors of output methods.  Eg C++, Java source code
emitters.
b)  Distributed construction of model data for distributed solution of
optimization problems.
c)  Interface to other modeling paradigms, eg simulation, statistics, etc,
using AML namespaces.
d) Model debuggers, anyone?

Alan

Alan King
Mathematical Sciences, IBM Research
http://www.research.ibm.com/
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/k/kingaj/

Campus Relationship Manager: University of Washington
http://www.washington.edu
http://www.ibm.com/university

Alan King/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
Sent by: coin-discuss-admin at www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com
06/28/2004 10:50 AM
Please respond to
coin-discuss

coin-discuss at www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Coin-discuss] Modeling Language

Well, count me in as being interested!

Let's begin.  Here are my thoughts for next steps:

1) Make a list of what's available.   Eg, we have already some good
suggestions:
=======================================
*) GNUMathProg language http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html

*) Zimpl http://www.zib.de/koch/zimpl/

*) FLOPC http://www.mat.ua.pt/thh/flopc/

*) and AMPL's possible release under open source license.

1a) Investigate each one and post a brief write up.

2) Make a list of desirable properties for an open source AML package.
2a) Match this list against available solutions and make some conclusions

3) Host a design discussion

4) Set priorities and make a plan.

"Tom Browder" <tbrowder at cox.net>
Sent by: coin-discuss-admin at www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com
06/28/2004 08:20 AM

Please respond to
coin-discuss

<coin-discuss at www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Coin-discuss] Modeling Language

What I'm really trying to ask is:  Is there any plan or interest to
build an open source modeling language and compiler system like GAMS?

Tom Browder