[Coin-discuss] BCP_timeout [was: environment variables]

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at web.de
Tue Nov 11 06:55:31 EST 2003

Matthew Saltzman schrieb:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Stephan Hennig wrote:
>
>> I'll try to avoid asking basic unix questions here. But isn't RH
>> one of the most buggy linuxes around? Sorry, no answer necessary.
>
> Sorry, I'll answer anyway.  (I'm a Red Hat user, but I don't claim to
>  be a zealot.)  The answer is: No.  What makes you think that?

Just a few personal experiences in the last days. Actually, I don't know
about other distributions. :)

>> [Konqueror and install issues]
>>
> It's hard to know what's going on with your install without knowing
> exactly what you did, but of course, this is off-topic here.  Did you
>  seek support from the Red Hat mailing lists?  Did you get it?
>
> I haven't made any significant use of Konqueror, but (1) you can't
> slam Red Hat for this unless you know it works on other
> distributions;

Right.
But I paid $45 for a piece of software (an *OS*) that can't do a file
search. (I have just a 56k modem and don't know anyone personally who
works with Linux.) This is of course a pure Konqueror user's point of
view. But I am not a Linux guru. That doesn't mean I am a beginner
computer user. I think I have quite good knowledge about computers with
a focus on windows. I know how to partition a hard disk, I know about
MBR, primary and secondary partitions (not just the words), how to
install an OS and I also know my limits (e.g. Linux). That's why I'm
limiting myself to basic operations like using an editor, a bit console
(just with ls, make, g++, mkdir and similar) or a bit Konqueror and I
think I can give a rough estimate if I have to blame problems to me or
to the software I work with. And by now I have to say, for the amount of
efforts I spent on avoiding problems I think I run into quite a bit too
much problems that appeared completely unexpected. (Did I tell you about
my Gnome experiences?)

> (2) there are plenty of other tools for finding strings in
> subdirectories. The classic Unix tool is "grep".

Right. I know these magic Unix tools grep, sed, awk and so on by name
and I know that I don't rule any of them. But I didn't ever
wanted/expected to have to get in touch with any of them, now that for
about ten years "Linux comes to the desktops".

> It's hard to recommend good basic Linux books, as the software moves
> faster than the paper publishing industry can respond.  Having said
> that, and after warning that I learned Unix/Linux the same way Laci
> did (sink or swim), I will venture to recommend a few introductory
> books on Unix/Linux that might be worth a look:
[...]

Thanks. I'll take a look at that literature.

>> Sorry, back to BCP_timeout.XXX. Bcp/Makefile contains a part
>>
>> # Files containing member functions #BCP_SRC +=
>> BCP_vector_change.cpp
>>
>> BCP_SRC +=	BCP_lp_param.cpp BCP_SRC +=	BCP_USER.cpp BCP_SRC +=
>> BCP_timeout.cpp
>>
>> so I think BCP_timeout.cpp should be located in Bcp/Member . But
>> there is no such file. There is no such file in COIN/ at all. I
>> asked a friend to checkout COIN/ on a Windows machine and he
>> confirmed that he can't find that source file. What's wrong this
>> time? Do you have any further hints for me?
>
> As Laci pointed out, if your copy of the repository is up to date,
> there should be no occurrence of BCP_timeout anywhere.

Checkout date was 10/30/03 when I tried the BCB port. Was that change
made in the last two weeks? I didn'd do any checkout since then because
I'm still trying just to get BCP up and running for the first time.

> [mjs at yankee COIN]$ grep -r BCP_timeout *
> [mjs at yankee COIN]$

I never wanted to use grep except if you gave me the command letter by
letter (admitting this one seems easy 'grep -recurse pattern files').
Thanks!

This only finds Bcp/Makefile. But 'grep -r CoinTime *' brings up a lot
of hits. When I comment out the line in question in Bcp/Makefile Mkc makes.

> If you still have trouble after "cvs update" and conflict resolution,
>  I would next try checking out a fresh copy of the repository in a
> different directory and checking that.  It's possible CVS has become
>  confused about the state of your repository for some reason and
> won't bring it up to date.

I'll get a checkout from 11/09/03 by tomorrow an will play with that.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,
Stephan Hennig

PS. I'll *not* change the distribution anyway. And as I said earlier I
won't ask basic Unix questions here. Probably, I just had to share my
frustrations about RH to someone who is familiar with it. I'm sorry for
this.