[Coin-discuss] Warnings when compiling with Sun Forte 6u2 compiler

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Jul 8 12:58:35 EDT 2003

Jonathan,

	I can add a few bits of information. My experience has been much like
yours --- I've ignored the warnings and had no problems. But then I haven't
made use of Osi[Row,Col]Cut, other than running the unitTest. I'll move this
up on my list of things to poke at.

	Those of you not interested in development environments on Sun can
stop reading now.

	There was no change when we upgraded to the Forte Developer 7 (v5.4)
cc/CC compilers. But at the time, browsing the Sun web site, I got the strong
impression that Sun was backing away from maintaining Workshop as a full-
featured IDE. It looked as if they were planning to concentrate on Java & Net
applications. The features I find valuable --- debugger, teamware --- were
deemphasized or gone. The limitations on templates are still the default (for
backwards binary compatibility), but they can now be overridden.

	I can also say that GCC 3.2.1 seems to work just fine under Solaris 8
(SunOS 5.8). I've just spent a few weeks giving it a workout building Gnome
2.2 (a long story; suffice it to say I strongly dislike both CDE and Metacity
:-). If it would be useful, I can ask our systems folks if they needed to do
anything special to get it to work. An earlier release (3.0.4?) was indeed
broken.

	Where am I going with this? Probably to Linux, I think, the next time
I replace my workstation hardware. The quality of the programming environment
is what's been keeping me with Solaris. That edge is nearly gone, and Linux
has more to offer in other areas.

							Lou