[Coin-discuss] Fw: OsiStochSolverInterface -- initial objective and outline

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 27 18:17:40 EST 2003

Alan:
>How do I get write permission?

Give me a call at 914-045-3032 and let's discuss.  But here's a partial
answer for the mailing list.

The people who have write permission are called the COIN-OR core-team
members.  The way things are currently set up is that there is usually one
core-team member per project. The core-team member is typically the person
who contributes the base software project on COIN-OR.  The core-team member
is responsible for running the project. They must have open-source
education, follow the coin-or procedures for incorporating new
contributions into their project, and be subscribed to the coin-core
mailing list.

A new project needs:
   a project name - - is this the "COIN-OR Stochastic Modeling Interface"
(COIN-SML) project?
   legal clearance of existing software (e.g., signed certificates of
originality, and a licensing agreement (hopefully, the CPL))
   documentation for the webpages - - such as "what is the project".  Check
out the documentation for the other projects, includeing the FAQs.
   (all the webpages are in the CVS repository, under the "coin-web"
module)
   to decide if  a new mailing list is needed

Once the project begins, the core-team member needs to:
   send out an annoucement on the coin-announce mailing list

There's more that needs to be said on this topic, like who decided what
projects go on COIN-OR.   We're in the process of creating the COIN-OR
Foundation (i.e., the nonprofit incorporated that pays INFORMS for hosting
it).  In doing this, we'll be  formalizing some aspects of how we
operating.  Feedback and alternative views always welcomed.

Robin

Robin Lougee-Heimer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434