[Coin-discuss] AAP_BP example

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at web.de
Mon Dec 1 13:22:52 EST 2003

Thanks Matthew, for the AAP example. One notice to the documentation. To
run the executable in section 4 you wrote '... type Linux-g/bcps
ParamFile par.par' This is wrong in two terms.
- At first the parameter file is located in Run/ .
- Secondly, in Run/par.par paths to data files contain a leading ../ and
bcps complains not beeing able to find the data file when typing
'Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par' on the command line. So at last I
had to go down to Linux-g/ and then type './bcps ParamFile
../Run/par.par' to run the example. The other option were to remove the
leading ../ in Run/par.par at AAP_datafile. Then you can run the
executable by typing 'Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par'. Anyway the
doc should be consistent in section 4.

There is another problem I encountered while playing with AAP_BP. I have
no clue what's wrong and I don't know if it is an error in the code. But
I'll describe it here anyway.

I tried to run the example with CLP and OSL on different problem files
with the leading ../ removed in Run/par.par at AAP_datafile. So that
line reads for example

AAP_datafile            Data/small/6.1.aap

All problem files run fine with CLP. But when I use OSL (by modifying
Makefile.aap) with problem file 6.1.aap, I get the following error

[work at localhost AAP_BP]$ Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter stream.
Speicherzugriffsfehler
[work at localhost AAP_BP]$

The last message means 'memory exception fault'. Fortunately (?) it runs
without complications when I override the AAP_datafile setting with the
same problem file by issuing

[work at localhost AAP_BP]$ Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par AAP_datafile
Data/small/6.1.aap

More strange, the behaviour is just the other way around with problem
file Data/small/8.1.aap or 10.1.aap. Issuing

[work at localhost AAP_BP]$ Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par

works, but

[work at localhost AAP_BP]$ Linux-g/bcps ParamFile Run/par.par AAP_datafile
Data/small/8.1.aap

exits with the same error as above.

The first behaviour (overriding AAP_datafile necessary for running)
applies to all 6.*.aap files. The second behaviour (overriding
AAP_datafile prevents from running) applies to all to 8.*.aap and
10.*.aap files. I don't know if this is really related to COIN-BCP.
Anyway, it's very odd. Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Stephan Hennig

PS. I just read the posting '[Coin-discuss] BCP user_data memory leak /
BCP mailing list?'. Am I facing that memory leak mentioned?