[Coin-discuss] (no subject)

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 19 13:47:14 EDT 2002

Hi Vivian,

The behavior you describe is certainly incorrect. Could you run the Osi
unitTest? That should point to where the error is. We can't run it easily 'cos
we don't have easy access to cplex.

The real reason of the problem is cplex's interpretation of sense/rhs/range.
In the MPS standard range can take negative value *only* if the constraint is
'E' (then it's a shift), otherwise range must be non-negative. cplex deviated
from this (their interpretation is logical: 0 and range are the bounds on the
surplus variable), and hence we had some translation to do and apparently
something is messed up.

xpress and cplex both take sense/rhs/range triplets, but they interpret them
differently. So the Osi interface was certain to disagree with one of them. We
went with the xpress interpretation (that also follows the standard) simply
because we did the xpress interface first. Unfortunately this means that now
if someone wants to convert a code from cplex to Osi then simple function name
replacement will not do in case of ranged rows.

But, as I said, there must be something wrong to get what you did, and it
ought to be fixed.

--Laci