[Coin-discuss] setColSolution, setRowPrice

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at isye.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 13 09:25:22 EST 2002

I think Lou and Antonio both have good points.  For some reason I
was forgetting the fact that simplex-based users can just use the
warmstart routines as a better way of handing a starting point to the
solver.  It makes sense that interior point solvers may need to offer
a starting solution explicitly, however.

The answer to my mind is just to clarify the documentation, indicating
the various methods to users and cases in which they are likely to
implemented (that is, simplex-based solvers are much more likely to
accept warmstart information, while interior point solvers may use
setColSolution and setRowPrice).

I suggest, however, that interfaces that do not actually use the data
from setColSolution/setRowPrice should throw an error if they're
called.  Otherwise we run the danger of someone thinking that their
starting solution is being used when the solver never actually sees
it.

Brady

Brady Hunsaker
Georgia Institute of Technology
Program in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering

E-mail address:   hunsaker at isye.gatech.edu