[Coin-discuss] software for discrete event simulation

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Aug 31 14:32:57 EDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Gosavi, Abhijit wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> It seems like some very useful optimization software has been developed and
> put up at the COIN site.
>
> For one area, the OR community still has to depend on expensive software and
> that is DISCRETE EVENT SIMULATION.  A library of functions in C that could
> do the things that these software can do would be a wonderful addition to
> the software available on COIN.  The useful thing about having C libraries
> is that the simulations become very flexible and you can interface your own
> optimization algorithms with it.

Speaking for myself, I agree that an open-source simulation package would
be a great resource for OR.  While COIN-OR has been focused on
optimization so far in its life, my own opinion is that a simulation
package would fall within our overall mission of bringing open source to
the OR community.  Of course, other COIN principals should feel free to
agree or disagree 8^).

> I would love to hear from any of you innovative programmers on how this is
> done or if anybody is working on this.  All simulation packages are, after
> all, written in C or C++.

I will check into some possible leads that I have.  If anyone else has any
suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.  Send them to me privately if you
don't want to reveal them to the list.

If we do decide that another forum besides COIN would be best for this,
I'm sure we'd still be glad to provide advice and general assistance.

> Abhijit Gosavi
> Assistant Professor
> University of Southern Colorado
> 2200 Bonforte Blvd
> 261, Technology Bulding
> Pueblo CO 81001
> Phone: (719) 549-2788
> Fax: (719) 549-2519

Clemson University Math Sciences          Editor, INFORMS Online
mjs at clemson.edu                           iol_editor at mail.informs.org
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs          http://www.informs.org