[Coin-announce] Announcement: COIN-OR Logo Contest

kevin.c.furman at exxonmobil.com kevin.c.furman at exxonmobil.com
Thu May 4 10:23:16 EDT 2006

COIN-OR Logo Contest
http://www.coin-or.org/contests/logo.html

Apologies in advance for cross-postings.

Sharpen your pencils (or dust of your computer's mouse) the COIN-OR
Foundation is looking for a logo design, and since we're an open source
community, we think the logo design should come from the community.  The
COIN-OR (COmputational INfrastructure for Operations Research) Foundation
would like to announce that we are accepting submissions to a new contest
for the COIN-OR logo.

Be as creative as you like, however we ask that contestants please submit
all entries in a commonly used graphics format that is HTML compatible
(e.g., GIF, JPEG, PNG, etc.).  We’re looking for a great logo idea and
don’t want to be limited by people’s artistic ability.  If all else fails,
draw it on paper, scan it, and send it in.  The winning entry selection
will be based on the logo’s potential. Professional graphic tweaking can be
done to the winning idea later if necessary.  Also, feel free to
collaborate with your local graphic art/design professionals.  Ideally the
winning logo should be simple enough to be reproduced in a number of ways:
small icon, black-and-white image, low resolution, 2-color, etc.  The
source used to generate the logo entry is welcome, but not required.  You
can submit your entries to our email address:  contest at coin-or.org.

The contest will be open for entry submissions from May 5, 2006 through
July 7, 2006.   In the open-source fashion, we hope posted entries will be
improved on and generate new entries.  Contestants should state which (if
any) other posted logo entries influenced them (e.g., is your logo a
“derivative work”?).  If someone uses and acknowledges that they used your
idea, then you will be a co-winner.  All qualifying entries will be posted
on the COIN-OR web site (http://www.coin-or.org/) as they are received.
Contestants will remain anonymous until the contest submissions are closed.
When voting is complete only the winners names will be announced.

The winning contestants will be the contributor(s) of the chosen logo and
the contributors of all logos that influenced it.  The winning logo entry
will be chosen via a vote of COIN-OR membership and will be adopted as the
official COIN-OR logo.  Winner(s) will be officially announced at the
DIMACS Workshop on COIN-OR  to be held July 17-20, 2006 at Rutgers
University, New Jersey (http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/COIN/) and the
winning logo entry revealed.  The winner(s) will also be recognized on the
COIN-OR website (http://www.coin-or.org/), newsletters, and announcements.
A professionally produced version of the new logo should be in use and
revealed by the time of the INFORMS 2006 Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania November 5-8, 2006 (http://www2.informs.org/Conf/Pittsburgh06/
) and on display at the COIN-OR booth.

DISCLAIMER:
All entries are the property of the COIN-OR Foundation and will be released
under a (to-be-specified) open-source license.   The winning logo entry is
subject to final approval by the COIN-OR Strategic Leadership Board before
adoption as the official COIN-OR logo.