[Coin-announce] Version 1.00 of CBC - or when will I stop messing with the code

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 16 12:25:48 EST 2005

I have decided that cbc is sufficiently robust that I should stop throwing
in significant changes on a daily basis.  So I am declaring version
1.00.00 of cbc.  The preferred stand alone executable can be obtained by
"make solve" in Cbc directory.  This executable has much of the
functionality of "clp" for LPs.  In a similar way as with clp you can get
more information by ? or gomory? etc.  That aspect needs more work, but
anyone can help by querying the short descriptions and expanding the long
descriptions.  Of course if anyone wants to write a smooth interface, I
would be delighted.  I would definitely recommend using "solve" to play
around with various strategies before coding your own driver.

I expect 1.00.00 to be quickly followed by 1.00.01 as I fix some bugs but
I am going to try and be more predictable in my changes.  Bugs will be
fixed and the version number may change if the bug was significant.  If
changes are made for tuning purposes this will be noted in the main
program file COIN/Cbc/Test/CoinSolve.cpp and I will try and leave the old
tuning as an option.  New instances of classes will be added freely as
they will not impact code.  So, for example, I have been asked to
implement n-way branching.  I should have done it earlier.  This will not
affect people not using this.

CBC is complex in that it uses Cgl, Osi and Coin.  It also is closely
linked to OsiClp and Clp and these links will increase for performance
purposes.  This can make it difficult to maintain compatibility while
developing new ideas.  So I will be using COIN_NEXT_VERSION in all code
(especially Cbc, OsiClp and Clp) so that people will not be impacted by
changes (unless they are bold) until I declare the next version - which
should be 1.01.00.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.

John Forrest