[Coin-announce] Initial performance for the open source lp solver, CLP, posted to the coin-lpsolve mailing list

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 17 11:39:09 EDT 2002

John Forrest has just posted initial performance measures for the
open source LP solver, CLP, to the coin-lpsolver mailing list.
A snippet of his msg appears below. For the full text of
the post (or to subscribe to the coin-lpsolver
mailing list), visit http://www.coin-or.org/mail.html

Robin

Performance:

The aim was to be reliable and not too slow.  For speed I am comparing to
OSL at present.  OSL has a presolve, which is not yet in Clp and it tries
to adjust settings and the algorithm to the problem so it is faster on
netlib test set.  I have also switched off presolve and forced primal and
dual in OSL to get a more even comparison.

On a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 laptop with gcc (times in seconds):
                      OSL    CLP
unitTest              181    461
Primal/ no presolve   342    461
Dual/no presolve      353    414

On an IBM Unix P690 using xlC I get for dual

Dual/no presolve      195    193

John Forrest

Robin Lougee-Heimer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center