[Coin-announce] Invitation: teleconference seminar on creating the XML specification for describing mathematics - MathML. 3/18. 12-1pm EST.

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 11 19:06:40 EST 2002

Dear Optimization Colleague:
While many of us seem to agree on the need for a new standard to exchange
mathematical programs, exactly how to go about creating one is unclear.
To address some of the questions that have been raised, we've asked a
person who helped to produce an XML specification for mathematical and
scientific content  on the Web to give a teleconference on his experience.

Please join us on Monday, March 18th at noon (EST) for a teleconference
seminar by Angel Diaz, co-chair of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C,
http://www.w3.org/ ) Math working group,  and a principal  writer of the
Mathematical Markup Language Specification (MathML, http://www.w3.org/Math/
).

Format
------
The teleconference will consist of an audio discussion via a toll-free
telephone conference call, and be accompanied by presentation materials
sent via email.  Details for  participation, including a toll-free
teleconference access number, and slide presentation will be included in
your registration confirmation.

Seminar Descriptions & Schedule Details
---------------------------------------
W3C Mathematical Markup Language: From Semantics to Presentation
Monday March 18, 2002   45 Minutes + Q&A
12-1pm,  Eastern Standard Time.
To register, send an email note to robinlh at us.ibm.com.
(Don't hesitate to send any questions you want covered during the seminar
in advance; we'll do our best to address them.)

In this presentation,  we will journey thought the history of the W3C
Mathematical Markup Language detailing key decision points faced by the
committee.  In particular, we will describe our (then) novel use of XML and
now our most recent transition to mathematical web services. We will also
provide an overview of the XML and Web Services  "standards" landscape.

Speaker: Angel Diaz
--------------------
Angel Diaz is a member of the research staff in the Services & Software
Department of the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Hawthorne, New York
and senior manager of the Next Generation Experience Frameworks team.
Angel received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute in 1997. Diaz is a co-chair of the World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C) Math working group, a principal writer of the Mathematical Markup
Language Specification (MathML). Diaz is also a member of the Cascading
Style Sheets (CSS) and Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) working groups,
member of the W3C Hypertext Coordination Group and co-editor of the W3C
Document Object Model Level 3 specification. Angel's most recent passion is
that of providing the middleware that will enable businesses to deliver,
syndicate and aggregate the Next Generation Web Experience. Angel started
two OASIS web services technical committees, Web Services For Interactive
Applications (WSIA) and Web Services For Remote Portals (WSRP) to address
the infrastructure issues and is active in CHI as he embarks on making HCI
reusable. In addition to his involvement in standards, Angel was the
founding manager of the XML/XSL Transformational Systems group, and is a
primary architect and developer of the IBM techexplorer Hypermedia Browser,
a web browser plug-in, ActiveX control and Internet Explorer behavior for
the interactive display of scientific and technical documents. Angel Diaz
was the lead on several XML and Web Services research projects (check out
Data Descriptors By Example, XML Generator, XSL Trace, XSL Editor, and
UDDI4B, on alphaWorks). The IBM XSL Editor is currently an IBM product that
is still under development by a joint IBM Research and Web Sphere team.

Questions or Assistance
will receive this message twice.

Future Teleconferences
-----------------------
Have an idea for a teleconference speaker or topic? Make it happen! We hope
other individuals, companies, and universities will host future
teleconferences on subjects related to open source. The COIN-OR mailing
lists (http://www.coin-or.org) are your resource for promoting and
discussing open source for the math programming community.

Looking forward to seeing you at the teleconference,
Robin

Robin Lougee-Heimer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434