[Cmpl] Nondescript error message when running out of memory

Christopher Gross christopher.gross at unikat.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Aug 14 03:10:44 EDT 2015

Hello,

recently I came across a strange error message when trying to solve a
problem using CMPL:

 > CMPL model generation - running
 >
 > CMPL version: 1.10.0
 > Authors: Thomas Schleiff, Mike Steglich
 > Distributed under the GPLv3
 >
 > create model instance ...
 > write model instance ...
 > CMPL model generation - finished
 >
 > Solver - running
 >
 > Error (interfaces): can not connect the solver:

Note that there is nothing after the colon. I am using the CBC solver,
so after looking at the source code it seems that the path of CBC should
be output here.

I am running on openSUSE 13.1 with kernel 3.11.10-29-desktop #1 SMP
PREEMPT Thu Mar 5 16:24:00 UTC 2015 (338c513) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux, using CMPL 1.10.0 and CBC 2.9.5. This is a virtual machine in
VirtualBox 5.0.0.

After a bit of debugging I realized that this error always occurs when
the solver runs out of memory. I am not sure why it manifests in this
way (truncated error message) but after adding more main memory to the
virtual machine it runs just fine.

Best regards,

Christopher

--
Christopher Gross, M.Sc.

Lehrstuhl für Health Care Operations/Health Information Management

Universitäres Zentrum für Gesundheitswissenschaften am Klinikum Augsburg
(UNIKA-T), Neusässer Straße 47, 86156 Augsburg;

Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät, Universität Augsburg,
Universitätsstraße 16, 86159 Augsburg

Tel.: +49 821 598-6454

E-Mail:  christopher.gross at unikat.uni-augsburg.de
Web:  http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/bwl/brunner/