[Cmpl] Fwd: Predicting end time

Mike Steglich mike.steglich at th-wildau.de
Wed Dec 3 04:56:03 EST 2014

Hi Indrajit,

First of all ... I would like to suggest to use a cmplData file instead a Cmpl file to read your data in your Cmpl model. CmplData is the official data file format for CMPL. Please take a look at the attached files that I have created for your problem.

The cause of the huge effort to solve your problem are the products of the variables in your objective function:

	revenue: sum{i in depts, j in locs, m in depts, o in depts, n in loc1, p in loc2, u in level:
						c[i,j] * x[i,j] +
						x[m, n] * x[o, p] * adj[u, n, p] * rev[u, m, o]
				}  -> max;

This is a non-linear term. Cmpl reformulates such products of binary variables equivalently by a set of in-equations. Please take a look at the pages 46ff in the manual. The size of the model after the reformulations isn't very huge but the structure is quite complicated for the solver.

Isn't there a different way to formulate your model and to avoid products of variables. It seems that it is a multistage transportation model, for that it could be possible to find alternative formulations.

If you can't reformulate it then I would like to propose to use Cplex or Gurobi. You can obtain a free version via the IBM academic initiative or via the Gurobi web page.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/jfp/entry/cplex_studio_in_ibm_academic_initiative?lang=en <https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/jfp/entry/cplex_studio_in_ibm_academic_initiative?lang=en>
http://www.gurobi.com/products/licensing-and-pricing/academic-licensing <http://www.gurobi.com/products/licensing-and-pricing/academic-licensing>

For both solvers Cmpl's solutionPool feature can be used that can be combined with a mip gap to decrease the computation times.
You can use the following Cmpl header entries for Cplex:
%arg -solver cplex
%opt cplex mip/tolerances/mipgap 0.10
%display solutionPool

Cheers,