[Clp] about controlling CLP best effort output when infeasible

Emerson emersonxsu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:16:43 EDT 2015

Hi All,
I'm working on network flow problem.
Right now the program gives the optimal solution when all the constraints
can be satisfied.
But, when I adjust the input, e.g., increase the demand value (commodity
need to be transmitted) such that the edge capacities can't afford. The
infeasible using primal() or dual() will output a solution with exceeding
the edge capacities but satisfies the demand (flow conservation
constraints).
But what I want is a best effort solution that guarantee the capacity
constraints but not the demand constraints.
I tried to change the sequence I added the constraint rows, while this
doesn't work. I think clp has its own fixed strategy to decide which
constraints can be violated and which can't.
Is there any way that I can specify the priorities the solution should
satisfy the constraints? i.e., when there is no optimal solution, the
output solutions should first satisfy the higher priority constraints and
then the lower priority ones.

FYI, glpk will give me the best effort solution in my case, which is
different from clp.

Thanks all,
Emer