[Clp] Is the project still maintained?

Julian Hall J.A.J.Hall at ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 19:40:36 EDT 2014

Dear Dimitris

Clp is certainly actively supported and is used so much that you can
be confident that it will be around for a long time to come. Its
author [John Forrest] continues to fix bugs in it---not that they come
up very often---and other people in the COIN-OR community help to keep
related interface software up-to-date.

However, for various reasons, I can't see much scope for bringing
documentation up-to-date or developing it further. Although I'm
Project Manager, I'm in no position to develop John's code, and I
don't think anyone else is, or is likely to. My assessment of it is
that it's pretty good as a revised simplex solver and to improve it
significantly would require a lot of work and probably a major
re-write. Who might have the time to do this, I cannot imagine.

There's still a lot that can be learned from it: Miles Lubin
incorporated some utilities into the work I did with him, and my
recent PhD [Qi Huangfu] also studied it. Indeed, if you're looking for
"a nice linear programming library with a nice c++ API" then maybe
it's time that I made Qi's simplex solver available: it's very concise
and its performance is comparable with that of Clp. This has been on
my "to do" list since Qi finished a year ago so it isn't going to
happen before the summer---which in Scotland might mean never!

I'd advise you to use Clp and post any queries to
clp at list.coin-or.org. There are great folk on this list who seem happy
to give advice that I can't.

All the best,

Julian

> I'm looking for a nice linear programming library with a nice c++ API
> (preferably not old-fashioned c-like).
> Although my current problem is small and simple, it would be nice to gain
> familiarity with a library that has a sustainable future.
> I'm looking into coin's Clp, but I'm a bit confused regarding the status of
> the project.
> Most pages seem to be very old, while some examples were uploaded only 12
> months ago.
> Could you please comment on the project's status?
> Is it actively maintained?
>
> Best,
> dimitris

Julian Hall (Operational Research MSc Programme Director)
--
Dr. J. A. Julian Hall, Senior Lecturer, School of Mathematics,
University of Edinburgh, JCMB, King's Buildings, EDINBURGH, EH9 3JZ, UK.
Room: 6221   Phone: [+44](131) 650 5075   Email: J.A.J.Hall at ed.ac.uk
Fax: [+44](131) 650 6553   Web:
http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/people/show/person/47

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.