[Clp] Questions about CLP (which I couldn't find in the FAQ, possibly because they're super-outdated)

Andrea Bertoldo andrea.bertoldo at polimi.it
Mon Sep 23 04:43:25 EDT 2013

Hello Jonathan, thanks to you and to William for the replies.

Regarding FORTRAN, I have a sound knowledge about how to interface it with C/C++, what I needed were the names of the functions that you guys pointed me to, regarding how to build a problem using addColumns and the other functions declared in the C interface file. Thanks for that!

Coming to afiro, I had it solved with the two methods I told you about, then using Simpo and despite the objective value being the same with all the three solvers, the values of the solutions differ slightly:
[cid:482185ea-37e3-4464-9371-43b6208082ee]

On the left, afiro solved with the ClpMinimum program; on the right, solved with ClpTestBarrier (therefore using the dual algorithm).

I then compared the solution from the simple algorithm, on the left, with that from Simpo solver, which as you can see gives a solution that is the same as what is the correct solution:

[cid:332ae16c-975f-45a8-859d-cd23a1df460a]

In the browser window, the solution given by the Mathematica software matches that from Simpo. And afaik, this is the correct solution.

Therefore, I'm really looking forward to using Clp in my project, but I'm concerned that for some tough problems it may give incorrect results.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea