[Clp] different optimal values with primal and dual methods.

Akhil langer akhilanger at gmail.com
Sun May 27 22:06:03 EDT 2012

Thanks Jonathan for your reply.
I obtained somewhat different values using the clp. 178714 and 82187.2 with
dual and primal methods respectively. However, I solved with gurobi and got
the same value as cplex, qsopt and matlab reported by you.

I am building the model, starting with loading of a base model with just
180 rows. The model is then increased in size by addition of more rows. No
new variables are added. I am doing this in the context of stochastic
optimization. In every iteration of the stochastic process, I add 120 rows
(using the addRows(CoinBuild) interface of ClpSimplex) and then do a
primal/dual solve on the model. The program reports infeasibility after 6-7
such iterations i.e. after ~120*6 addition of rows.
Additionally, I am getting another artifact. The optimial value of the
model should only increase after every iteration, as only more constraints
are added and hence the minimal value of the objective function (which is
not modified across iterations) should only increase with iteration number.
However, I am seeing that objective value jumps up and down with the
iteration number.

For clarity, note that iteration number I refer here is the iteration
number of the stochastic iterative process and not the iterations referred
by the simplex algorithm while optimization.

--Akhil