[Clp] Clp - Under new management

armen nahapetyan armen_nahapetyan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 11:44:28 EST 2010

Hello Mr Julian Hall,

We are pleased to see you on this position.

Your ideas about Clp acceleration on GPGPU's seem challenging and interesting.
But lack of documentation makes it very difficult and slow to be
integrated into the development process. And the source code itself is
hard to understand.

I have got experience of parallel systems implementation and GPGPU programming and I would like join to CLP acceleration.
I used to try to do some experiments by myself, but the lack of documentation describing mathematical details and source code organization did not allow to make CLP to run really in parallel, I implemented on GPGPU just some low-level functions with matrix factorizations.

I have got the documentation which is refereed in the Clp source code:

     Forrest and Tomlin, Implementing the simplex method for
       the Optimization Subroutine Library - IBM Systems Journal 1992

     Gill, Murray, Saunders, Wright A Practical Anti-Cycling
       Procedure for Linear and Nonlinear Programming SOL report 1988

But that documentation mainly  discourse numerical issues and corner cases.

So if some development specification or other document about the source code organization would be available, I believe many strong guys would be interested to become a part of  Clp acceleration process.

Best Regards,
Armen Nahapetyan