[Clp] Possible different treatment for Bounds and Constraints Section

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed May 20 03:35:38 EDT 2009

Are you sure your problem is really feasible?

There are differences in how bounds and constraints are treated.  Take the
following example (with default infeasibility tolerance of 1.0e-7).

x is free and we have three constraints

x==0.0
x>=0.6e-7
x<=-0.6e-7

Now x can pivot into basis on first constraint and the slacks on other two
constraints can take values of -0.6e-7 which while infeasible is within
tolerance.

If x<= -0.6e-7 is converted into a bound then IF x is basic on first
constraint then both x and a slack are infeasible but within bounds.  BUT
if x starts out non-basic i.e at -0.6e-7 then it is never allowed to
increase to come into basis and so slack will have infeasibility of 1.2e-7.

Finally if both constraints are made into bounds then the problem will be
immediately declared to be infeasible as the lower bound on x is greater
than the upper bound.

John Forrest